Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

reaching the end of the rainbow

So I went to see for colored girls tonight.

And now, a few weeks later (NOV 30th) I am finally able to review it. I was struck by tyler perry's work. I felt, leaving the theater that this is the best Perry film I have seen yet (although I only attend the commercial theater thrice annually, and have seen only one or two others by Perry).

I was struck by his use of Ntozake Shange's characters and their poetry to create a narrative fiction that was focused on these womens lives. These women kept their depth, and the poetry of their memory came through with such elegance and emotion, as we saw their day to day life in the modern world, allowing us to place ourselves in thier shoes and connect to these various characters.

I loved how the structure kept a feeling of ensemble, while isolating a few central characters and arcs. The women's interconnected stories left us with a sense of community, which reminded me of the warmth of all the influential black women in my life, and our strength and perserverence. I was moved to tears, and to joy at the end. And it was raw, real and so elegantly structured.

I am impressed. Still need to watch it again. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment